Women's Soccer Battles CCC Foe Nichols College to a 1-1 Double Overtime Tie

Women's Soccer Battles CCC Foe Nichols College to a 1-1 Double Overtime Tie

MILTON, Mass. - The Curry College Women's Soccer team battled visiting Nichols College to a 1-1 double overtime tie in Commonwealth Coast Conference action Saturday evening at the Walter M. Katz Field. The tie moves the Colonels to 5-2-2 overall and 0-0-2 in the conference while the Bison move to 2-5-1 on the season and 0-1-1 in the CCC.

Curry opened the scoring in the first half as senior Korinna Tsonis (Dartmouth, Mass.) scored off a feed from freshman Tayla Randall (Walpole, Mass.) to put the Colonels on top 1-0 in the 11th minute.  Nichols had two corner kick opportunities to tie the match but fell short.  Two of the Bison's three shots in the frame landed on net but the Colonels sophomore keeper Haley Rice (Lexington, Mass.) made the stops to hold them scoreless through 45 minutes of play.  Curry led in shots, 5-3, with Nichols junior goalie Brooke Downey (Middleboro, Mass.) making two saves.

The Colonels held onto the lead until the 54:15 minute mark when the Bison evened the score at one apiece. Senior Taylor Souza (New Bedford, Mass.) found the back of the net for the game-tying goal off an assist from senior Lauren MacGray (Norton, Mass.). The Colonels put six of their eight shots on goal in the rest of the period but Downey denied Curry the chance at a game-winner.  Rice kept Nichols from putting up another on the board with her six saves leading the squads to overtime. 

In the first extra period, each side attempted one shot.  The Bison's strike went wide of the net while the Colonels forced Downey to make a save for a scoreless opening overtime half.  In the second overtime, Souza was awarded a penalty kick only 2:19 into the frame, but Rice turned her away to keep the tie alive.  Curry was on the attack for the remaining minutes as they had four great chances but Downey was solid between the pipes coming up with three big saves to hold onto the 1-1 finish.

The Colonels held a slight 18-16 edge in shots in the game, while the Bison attempted eight corner kicks to just two for Curry.

Rice earned the tie for the Colonels making 10 saves on the night while Downey finished with a game-high 12 stops for Nichols.

Curry is back on the field on Monday when they travel to St. Joseph's (Conn.) for a 4:00 p.m. non-conference game. Nichols returns to action on Wednesday when they host Pine Manor College in a 4:00 p.m. start.