Women's Soccer Battles First Place University of New England to 1-1 Double Overtime Tie

Women's Soccer Battles First Place University of New England to 1-1 Double Overtime Tie

MILTON, Mass. – The Curry College Women's Soccer team battled the current first-place Commonwealth Coast Conference opponent the University of New England to a 1-1 double overtime tie on Friday afternoon at the Walter M. Katz Field.  Senior Brianna Fitzsimmons (East Haven, Conn.) netted the tying goal for the Colonels in the 63rd minute. 

The tie moves Curry to 6-5-2 overall and 1-3-1 in the CCC while the Nor'easters move to 7-3-1 on the season and 4-0-1 in the CCC.

UNE controlled the first half, outshooting the Colonels 14-1.  The Colonels senior goalkeeper Morgan Stott (Dartmouth, Mass.) played outstanding as she came up with nine saves allowing just one Nor'easter score.  The goal came at the 30:43 minute mark giving UNE the early 1-0 lead.  Sophomore Taylor Usko (Sunapee, N.H.) fired in a shot inside the 18-yard box past the glove of Stott.  Usko received the ball from senior Anna Michaud (Hampden, Maine) to earn the assist.  Curry's defense played strong for the remainder of the half to hold the Nor'easters to the lone goal.

Second half was an evenly played match.  The Colonels held the slight advantage in shots at 6-4.  They landed just three on net with one proving to be the tying tally.  Senior Kelly Parker (Branford, Conn.) maneuvered with the ball around a UNE defender before finding the foot of Fitzsimmons.  Fitzsimmons collected the ball and one-timed it into the back of the net past UNE's senior goalkeeper Brielle Robinson (Monson, Mass.).  The Nor'easters landed just one shot on net over the 45 minutes of play.  Both teams fought hard throughout the midfield looking to gain possession and come up with the winning goal but time expired and they were forced into overtime.

UNE was in control throughout most of the two ten minute overtime halves.  The held Curry to zero shots while took seven overall.  Stott though proved she was not willing to give up another score and lose to previously undefeated conference Nor'easters.  After 110 minutes of play, the teams finished the game with a draw.

Stott had a season-high 14 saves in net for the Colonels.  Robinson made two stops in goal for the Nor'easters.

Curry returns to action on Thursday, October 13 when they host Suffolk University in a non-conference match at 7:00 p.m.  UNE hosts non-conference opponent Southern Maine on Tuesday, October 11 in a 4:00 p.m. game.