Men's Lacrosse Holds Off Late Charge From Nichols in CCC Quarterfinals

Men's Lacrosse Holds Off Late Charge From Nichols in CCC Quarterfinals

MILTON, Mass. – The Curry College men's lacrosse team edged number five-seeded Nichols College by a final of 14-13 in the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) Tournament Quarterfinals on Saturday afternoon. The Colonels improve to 9-8 on the year while the Bison end the season at 10-7.

Curry opened the contest with two straight goals, one apiece from seniors Kyle Ton (Norwich, Conn.)  and Devin Newell (Medford, Mass.) to grab a 2-0 lead with 8:13 left in the opening quarter. Nichols got on the board with a marker from junior Hugh O'Donnell (Charlestown, Mass.). Senior Zach White (Milford, Conn.) answered back quickly with a goal just 19 seconds later to make the score 3-1 in favor of the Colonels. The Bison erased the deficit with a 3-0 run on goals by freshman Hunter Ferreira (Mansfield, Mass.), junior Cole Fontana (Grafton, Mass.), and senior Casey Campanale (Shrewsbury, Mass.) to grab a 4-3 advantage. The Colonels knotted the game at four with under a minute to go in the stanza on a marker by sophomore Matthew Scahill (Gales Ferry, Conn.) coming off a pass from junior Andrew DeLeary (Wakefield, Mass.).

The second quarter featured four goals, two from each side. With 10:27 left in the frame, senior Brett Shiffer (Milford, N.H.) broke the tie with a marker. The assist on the goal was awarded to Campanale. Curry came back back-to-back tallies from Scahill and DeLeary while sophomore Brendan Coates (Grafton, Mass.) deadlocked the game at six with a goal with 7:01 left in the half. The game would head into halftime with the same 6-6 score.

The Colonels broke the tie with two straight scores to start the third by junior Jake Stebbins (Colchester, Vt.) and Ton on a man-up advantage to make the score 8-6. Coates trimmed the deficit to one with a tally with 4:34 to go in the quarter. Curry used another 3-0 run on two goals by Ton and the other from Newell to push the lead to 11-7. The Bison closed the gap with a 3-1 run over the final 3:27. Senior Jack Campanale (Shrewsbury, Mass.) and Shiffer scored to trim the deficit to two, 11-9, with just over a minute to go. The squads then traded goals in the final 1:12. Senior MJ Urbano (Wakefield, Mass.) deposited a shot off a helper from Newell while Fontana scored with two seconds left to make the score 12-10 at the end of three.

Curry went on to start the final quarter with two goals, one apiece from Newell and DeLeary to extend the lead to 14-10. The Bison then closed out the contest on 3-0 run on goals by Casey Campanale, Ferreira, and Shiffer to make the score 14-13, the eventual final.

DeLeary (2 G, 2 A), Ton (4 G), and Newell (3 G, 1 A) all finished with four points apiece. Scahill was the final Colonel with multiple points as he registered two goals on the afternoon.

Casey Campanale led the Nichols with five points on two goals and three helpers. Fontana finished with gout points on two goals and two assists. Shiffer also put in a solid game, tallying a hat trick.

Freshman goalie Bobby Cannan (Bernardsville, N.J.) made 15 saves in 60 minutes in between the pipes to pick up the win for Curry. Senior Brian McKinley (Nashua, N.H.) collected 14 saves in 60 minutes of action for Nichols

Curry advances to the CCC Semifinals and will travel to top-seeded Western New England University on Wednesday at a time to be determined. The loss ends the season for Nichols.

For the latest on Curry Athletics, follow the Colonels via social media on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and YouTube.