Hockey Edged 4-3 by Visiting Nichols College in the CCC Quarterfinals

Hockey Edged 4-3 by Visiting Nichols College in the CCC Quarterfinals

MILTON, Mass. --- The #4 seeded Curry College men's ice hockey team fell to the visiting #5 seed Nichols College, 4-3, on Saturday night at the Max Ulin Rink in the CCC Quarterfinals. The loss drops the Colonels to 17-8-1 overall and ends their season.  With the win the Bison improve to 15-8-3 overall and advance to the CCC Semi-final game.

Curry was first to get on the board 7:48 into the opening period.  Senior Adam Valadao (Ajax, Ontario) one-timed a shot that sailed over the shoulder of Nichol's senior netminder Colin Brennan (Chester, N.J.).  The Colonels took a 2-0 lead just over a minute later off a short-handed goal.  Just 42 seconds into the penalty-kill, sophomore Jordan Williamson (Okotoks, AB) intercepted a Bison pass at the blue line and sent to the puck up to freshman Matthew Henderson (Scarborough, Maine).  Henderson went one on one with Brennan and beat him top shelf.  Nichols was able to get on the board late in the period before heading into intermission.  The Bison took advantage of a man-up opportunity after the Colonels were in the box for a two minute penalty.  It took just 21 seconds on the power-play before sophomore J.B. Baker (Columbia, Md.) fired one past Curry's freshman netminder Cody Murch (Raleigh, N.C.).  Baker was assisted by junior Ian Spencer (Hawthorne, N.J.) and senior Scott Cuthrell (Waterford, Mich.).  Shots were 11-7 in favor of the Colonels.

The second frame saw the visitors tally two goals to take a 3-2 lead through 40 minutes of play.  The first came off the stick of junior Matthew Menta (Lima, Pa.) at the 7:37 minute mark.  Menta received a pass in front of the cage and tipped it in for his first of two scores on the night.  Baker and Cuthrell earned the helpers.  The go-ahead goal came at 16:31 when sophomore Vincent Crivello (Rosemere, Quebec) took a slap shot that went past the glove of Murch.  Crivello was assisted by senior D.J. Goldstein (Canandaigua, N.Y.) and sophomore Hogan Davidson (Duluth, Minn.). Solid play between the pipes of Brennan held the Colonels scoreless. Curry held the advantage in shots at 13-9.

In the final stanza, 15:17 minutes went by without a goal scored.  The Bison held onto to the 3-2 lead until junior Zachary White (Milford, Conn.) netted the tying goal.  White was open right outside the crease and tapped in the puck past Brennan.  Freshman Mike Snow (Medford, Mass.) and junior Lionel Mauron (Lausanne, Switzerland) were credited with the assists.  With 4:43 left to play in regulation and the game even at 3-3, the possibility of an overtime looked hopeful for the hosts.  However Nichols had other plans and answered back with the game-winning tally just over a minute later.  Cuthrell won the face-off in the Colonels defensive zone and sent the puck to Menta who one-timed it into the back of the net.  Curry had a couple of chances to tie the score in the final minutes but Brennan came up with big saves to hold onto the 4-3 win.

The Colonels outshot the Bison, 32-24. Curry was 0-5 on the PP while Nichols was 1-3.

Murch recorded 20 saves in net in the loss.  Brennan made 29 stops in net for the win.